Thursday, July 7, 2011

Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Perle Coral Sun 102 Lipstick Review

Phew, what a mouthful!

Hello there, our lovely readers! After reading E's lovely review on her Australis lip pencil and mineral lipstick, I was inspired to write up a review on a lipstick I purchased a few months ago.

The big fancy shmancy department store in our home city called Kirkcaldie and Stains was having their big yearly sale, so of course, how could I resist not buying something? (Especially since my work was directly across the road!) I always find it hard to just go browsing through the different make-up counters as I always feel like I'm being judged on my appearance and how much I'm going to actually spend. I did actually have a pretty bad experience with a make-up salesperson from the Chanel counter a while ago, who refused to let me try on some Chanel make-up and made indirect comments about me not having enough money to buy a certain item I was after at that time. I was furious about it and actually ended up buying the thing I was after in a department store called Farmers right across the road instead. Fortunately, one of my friends is good friends with the manager of that counter so I let her know what had happened. Never judge a book by its cover! One of the first things you learn in working retail. Obviously this woman lacked sense.

Anywho, long rant over, while I wasn't looking to spend any money during that sale time, I did actually have the YSL Volupte Perle 102 lipstick on my wishlist after reading Tali's (from the ex-Gloss Goss blog) review of it. Sneaking my way up the YSL counter, I spotted a little goody bag with that exact same lipstick and a peachy lipgloss to match it for a mere NZ$45! I was excited about this price because normally the lipstick on its own is priced at an extreme NZ$65 and the lipgloss just a bit less.






The photo is a bit darker than I want it to be but no time to lighten it, sorry guys!

YSL's description:


ROUGE VOLUPTÉ PERLE
Silky Sensual Radiant Lipstick SPF 15
What it is:
A creamy lipstick that leaves the lips feeling soft and looking beautiful with a satiny-pearl finish.

What it does:
This creamy lipstick provides nourishment to the lips leaving them soft and smooth. It drenches the lips in color and provides a satiny-pearl finish, thanks to the incorporation of voluptuous pearls (transparent crystal pearls and colored pearls) that deliver a sophisticated shine to the lips. It's long-lasting and highly comfortable and leaves lips visibly smoothed, plumped, and radiant

Review:

The case for the lipstick itself is very luxurious; the gold with the pearly white and the YSL emblem circling the tube -- I also really like the weight of it, a fair bit heavier than your standard lipstick. Since it's also a fair bit chunkier than your standard lipstick, you can't really get away with slipping it discreetly into the pocket of your jeans, or a jacket pocket. (Is that your YSL lipstick, or are you just happy to see me? ;D) 

Swatch:


 The consistency is very creamy, it really glides on like a dream. I feel like it could be rated as a fool-proof lipstick; as in, even a fool such as me can put it on and I don't end up looking like a clown! Unfortunately, the colour is quite opaque and it doesn't show up too well unless you've filled in your lips with some nude lipliner. However, it may just be that my lips are too pigmented for this lipstick. In the photo, I have layered the lipstick on my arm around 2-3 times. 
I am actually disappointed with the wear of this lipstick, I find that I get 2-4 hours max. It seems to also settle into the fine lines of my lips as well, so I make sure I apply lip balm before I apply the lipstick. A plus for it having an SPF 15, I didn't realise this until I was searching up the description of it! Oops! I do love the way the colour shimmers, doesn't it just look superbly creamy in the photo?

I do also really love the colour, it's a beautiful peach/coral colour that is perfect for summer. The scent of the lipstick is divine as well; it's a light, almost fruity scent. I tend to wear this lipstick when I'm wearing a bit of bronzer on my face as I feel that it would really suit people with a sunkissed/tan complexion.

Overall, I won't be re-purchasing this shade again as I could definitely pick up a peach lipstick from a brand such as MAC that would do as good of a job, or even better, but I would definitely be keen on trying a different colour as the YSL lipsticks seem so gorgeous.

Have you had a run in with a snobby salesperson at a make-up counter? What do you think of YSL lipsticks? Let's hear it, girlies! :)



2 comments:

  1. Perfect timing! I was considering buying this lipstick. I have heard I look good in coral/peach tones, and this one looks amazing. Does it feel like you are wearing a lipstick, or does it simply glide on? Is it possible to apply it withouth using a mirror?

    I have the Dior (combined lipgloss and lipstick) iconic something something, and I really love the way it just glides on, it feels like I am wearing lip balm:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Madeleine B*replies far too late but hopes it will get read regardless*

    Oh, I'm so glad you read this review in time! :) I love coral/peach toned lipsticks, blushers, nailpolishes etc., so this would be perfect for you! Did you end up buying it in the end? I find it glides on like a dream, the consistency is just so creamy and I find I can apply it without using a mirror.

    Ooh, I love Dior's lipsticks! I have the most amazing classical red one which I'll have to do a review on in the future.

    ReplyDelete